Today we’re gonna move to the dessert menu. I know Nigerians don’t really do dessert; but I have a really great treat for us today, the sweet fruity goodness known as Apple Crumble. It’s basically a dish of baked apples topped with a crisp crust. The topping is usually made of oats, cinnamon and brown sugar; though you could go for a healthier variety with nuts and dried fruits. Let’s get started.
For the crumble topping;
- 35 g rolled oats
- 35 g wholemeal flour
- 20 g caster sugar
- 35 g margarine or butter
For the apple filling;
- 400 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 50 g sugar, to sweeten
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
2.Peel and core the apples, quarter and cut in to chunks.
3. Layer the apples in the bottom of an oven-proof pan
4. Mix the sugar with water and pour over the apples.
5. Place the flour and oats in a bowl and mix well.
6.Cut the margarine or butter into small cubes and add this to the oats and flour.
7. Mix with your fingertips until it becomes an even crumb texture. Add the sugar and mix thoroughly and evenly.
8. Cover the apples with the crumble mixture.
9. Bake for 20 minutes until the crumble is golden and the apple hot.
Serve hot with some whipped cream or custard. It may also be eaten cold with ice cream.