Naijalog
  • Home
  • News
    • Top Stories
    • World News
  • Trending
  • Entertainment
    • Cinemas
    • Interviews
    • Events
    • Music
    • Videos
  • Sports
    • Football
      • Premiership
      • NPL
    • WORLD CUP 2018
  • Lifestyle
    • Nutrition
    • Health
    • Sex and Relationships
  • Quizzes
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Top Stories
    • World News
  • Trending
  • Entertainment
    • Cinemas
    • Interviews
    • Events
    • Music
    • Videos
  • Sports
    • Football
      • Premiership
      • NPL
    • WORLD CUP 2018
  • Lifestyle
    • Nutrition
    • Health
    • Sex and Relationships
  • Quizzes
No Result
View All Result
Naijalog
No Result
View All Result

Medical workers terrified as LUTH, UITH isolate 40

naijalog by naijalog
April 8, 2020
in Top Stories
Reading Time: 3 mins read
0
Sex scandals hit COVID-19 centres as those in quarantine are now having sexual intercourse with each other
0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba and the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital have put no fewer than 40 health workers, including doctors and nurses, in isolation following their contact with people infected with COVID-19.

LUTH’s Chairman of the Medical Advisory Council, Prof Wasiu Adeyemo, on Tuesday, told journalists that 12 workers of the health institution had gone into isolation.

RelatedArticles

Two Nigerian Men Caught With Drugs Worth Over N111m in South Africa

Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today, Friday, 14th July, 2023

According to him, the 12 workers might have had contact with a patient, who died of COVID-19 at the hospital last week.

At the UITH, 28 health workers are in isolation for coming in contact with an accountant, Muideen Obanimomo that died of COVID-19  in the hospital on Thursday.

The isolation of the UITH and LUTH workers on Tuesday fuelled fear about lack of protection for health workers treating COVID-19 patients in the country.

The President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr Francis Faduyile, in a statement to commemorate the World Health Day, on Tuesday expressed concern about hazards faced by healthcare professionals, including nurses, treating COVID-19 patients.

Increasing number of health workers in other countries are being infected with the virus. Spain has said at least 4,500 health care workers have tested positive for the disease.  More than 60 doctors have died in Italy.

UITH isolates 28 workers, Kwara traces 75 contacts

On Tuesday, the management of the UITH said  28 staff members of the hospital involved in the treatment of Obanimomo had been in isolation.

The Chief Medical Director of the UITH, Prof. Abdullahi Yussuf, disclosed this just as the Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRasaq, said the state government had begun tracing 75 persons who had contact with Obanimomo and another deceased.

Yussuff said that about 28 members of staff of the hospital involved in the treatment of Obanimomo were in isolation.

He said, “Already, all the UITH workers with close contact with the deceased patient on the night of his admission, or his corpse have been ordered to proceed on self-isolation. Besides, the ‘A and E’ ward and the ambulance used to convey his corpse to Offa had been promptly fumigated.

“We have contacted the state Technical Committee on COVID-19 to look for those who performed all funeral rites on the corpse and those who had contact with the wife of the deceased including the mourners to keep them in isolation and give them necessary medical treatment.

“Though, we have taken all precautions, including the training of staff and other measures, we were taken aback to discover how a very senior consultant of this hospital had facilitated the admission of a suspected case of COVID-19 at the Accident and Emergency section of the hospital on the night of  Wednesday, April 1, 2020.”

The state governor, in an interview with journalists, said, “Our job is cut out for us and we are definitely not dropping the ball. Contact tracing by the Rapid Response Team of the medical advisory committee has so far netted 75 persons who have had contacts with the cases and the suspected case at the UITH”

He also expressed disappointment about  Prof. Alakija Kazeem Salami, who concealed Obanimomo’s status.

12 LUTH workers in isolation

The Chairman of LUTH’s MAC, Adeyemo, in an interview with journalists when the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 visited the hospital, said none of the hospital doctors and nurses were unnecessarily exposed to a COVID-19 patient that died in the hospital last week.

He stated, “The issue now is that once the patient is positive, everyone seems to be worried.  We have identified about 12 of our staff that might have had contact with the diseased patient, and they are all under surveillance. This is the fourth day (Tuesday), and they are doing well.”

60-bed isolation centre ready in LUTH – CMD

The Chief Medical Director of LUTH, Prof. Chris Bode, told the task force said a 60-bed isolation centre in the hospital was ready to admit COVID-19 positive cases.

He stated, “We have put together a newly furnished block of four wards, each one containing 30 beds.  We have 60 beds altogether now, we have enough personal protective equipment and a lot of what we need to start admission of COVID-19 positive patients in Lagos.”

Tags: coronavirusnigeria newspaper online
ShareTweetSend

Leave a ReplyCancel reply

  • Contact us
  • Advertise with us

© 2022 Naijalog

No Result
View All Result
  • Entertainment
  • Top Stories
  • Trending
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle

© 2022 Naijalog

 

Loading Comments...